Infrastructure Devops Build Service
Open Source server build solution for Automation, Configuration Management, Quality Assurance, and repeatable build and delivery of Windows and Linux based servers. Chef provides a service to manage ‘recipes’ for servers, configured and personalised to environments and server roles.
Secure Linux based Open Source Chef® Server
Scalable to support from 1 to 1000's of production servers
Resilient and High Availability Solutions, deployable in Master Slave formats
Simple Web based interface for each remote management and use
Works with Chef Workstation to develop and deploy automation Services
Server 'healing' capability to ensure servers remain patched, secured designed
Regular server reports on compliance/build status
Service includes regular patches, daily backups, support
Debian/Ubuntu based platform for easy of management, configuration
Works with Skyscape, AWS, Rackspace, Memset and internal private cloud architectures
- Ensures repeatability in deployment of large scale cloud based solutions
- Easy to move infrastructure deployment from Development, Test to Production
- Remove repeated manual steps from Infrastructure build, test and deployments
- Enables easy to scale up and out of Cloud services
- Simplifying and Self Documenting infrastructure build instructions
- Greatly reduced build time through re-use of pre-tested ‘cookbooks’
- Built on an NSA compliant Secure Gold build
- Swift and simple roll-out of server changes to multiple servers
- Available for Web or Tier 1 services
- Suitable for Public, Private, Shared Cloud environments
Complementary Products and Services
- Viewdeck Management Domain Service
- Viewdeck Chef Remote Workstation Service
- Viewdeck Git Server Service
- Browser — Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, or Internet Explorer (versions 9 or better)
- Every node that will be configured by the chef-client and every workstation that will upload data to the Chef server must be able to communicate with the hosted Chef server via https and ssh
- A Viewdeck Patch Server is a requirement to provide a patch service and Virus/Rootkit signatures upgrades
- A Viewdeck Log Server is a requirement to provide event monitoring for the service
- A Viewdeck Monitor Service is required to provide availability and host health check monitoring
- Backup Solution providing secure offline remote cloud based storage is required. The Viewdeck Backup Service provides a suitable service
- The Secure Mail Server with connectivity to the secure administration mailbox providing alerting and reporting from the hosts
- Secure Remote Administrator Access via a suitable secure network. This will vary depending on the hosting environment
Chef is a configuration management tool written in Ruby and Erlang. It uses a pure-Ruby, domain-specific language (DSL) for writing system configuration “recipes”. Chef is used to streamline the task of configuring and maintaining a company’s servers, and can integrate with cloud-based platforms such as Rackspace, Internap, Amazon EC2, Google Cloud Platform, OpenStack, SoftLayer, and Microsoft Azure to automatically provision and configure new machines. Chef contains solutions for both small and large scale systems.
The Chef server acts as a hub for configuration data, storing cookbooks and policies that are applied to nodes. It also holds the metadata that describes each registered node ( Virtual Host / Machine ) that is being managed by the chef-client. Nodes use the chef-client to ask the Chef server for configuration details, such as recipes, templates, and file distributions. The chef-client then does as much of the configuration work as possible on the nodes themselves (and not on the Chef server). This scalable approach distributes the configuration effort throughout the data centres and infrastructure.
The Infrastructure DevOps (Chef) Server Build Service is a secure deployment and configuration of a managed Chef Server environment of one or more chef servers across an environment. Using the Viewdeck Secure Server Platform as a base, it provides a patched, secured cloud based solution to repeatable system build, configuration and deployment.
Tag Cloud: Configuration management, System administration, Network management, Cloud management, Continuous delivery, DevOps
Trademarks and Copyrights:
- The Chef Logo and Open Source Chef Server are Registered Trademarks of Chef Server Inc. No implied endorsement or relationship with Chef Server Inc is implied by this Service.
- Ubuntu and Canonical are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd.