Secure DevOps Build Workstation
Secure Remote Desktop Build Workstation, for the development management and support of DevOps instructions. Based on Chef® Development Workstation, it provides a graphical remote desktop with access to Knife, Ruby, IDE editors. In conjunction with the DevOs Build Server, it provides a capability to manage server ‘recipes’ and environment ‘attributes’.
Secure Linux based Open Source Developmet Workstation
Remote Access to Graphical IDE
Chef® Workstation, with Chef Development Kit
Support for multiple Users
Includes Ruby development, IDE, git client
Desktop options (Cairo-Dock, XCFE4, LXDE), suitable for low bandwidth connectivity
Remote Graphical Desktop (PC,Mac,Ubuntu) provided over SSH
Service includes regular patches, daily backups, support
Debian/Ubuntu based platform for easy of management, configuration
Works with Skyscape, AWS etc. internal private cloud architectures
- Cloud based Development Workstation, easy to manage, backup, secure
- Part of the Chef® solution to remove repeated manual steps
- Rapid deployment and duplication of development resources
- Securely accessible from remote locations, with slow communications
- Able to separate remote deployment from ‘Office’ Service Management
- Take advantage of the Chef® Supermarket
- Greatly reduced development time through re-use pre-tested ‘cookbooks’
- Built on an NSA compliant Secure Gold build
- Suitable for Public, Private, Shared Cloud environments
Complementary Products and Services
- Viewdeck Management Domain Service
- Viewdeck Infrastructure DevOps Build Service
- Viewdeck Git Server Service
- Graphical Desktop via X2Go Clients from PC, MAC, Linux
- A Viewdeck Patch Server is a requirement to provide a patch service and Virus/Rootkit signatures upgrades
- A Viewdeck Log Server is a requirement to provide event monitoring for the service
- A Viewdeck Monitor Service is required to provide availability and host health check monitoring
- Backup Solution providing secure offline remote cloud based storage is required. The Viewdeck Backup Service provides a suitable service
- The Secure Mail Server with connectivity to the secure administration mailbox providing alerting and reporting from the hosts
- Secure Remote Administrator Access via a suitable secure network. This will vary depending on the hosting environment
Chef is a configuration management tool written in Ruby and Erlang. It uses a pure-Ruby, domain-specific language (DSL) for writing system configuration “recipes”. Chef is used to streamline the task of configuring and maintaining a company’s servers, and can integrate with cloud-based platforms such as Rackspace, Internap, Amazon EC2, Google Cloud Platform, OpenStack, SoftLayer, and Microsoft Azure to automatically provision and configure new machines. Chef contains solutions for both small and large scale systems.
The Chef server acts as a hub for configuration data, storing cookbooks and policies that are applied to nodes. It also holds the metadata that describes each registered node ( Virtual Host / Machine ) that is being managed by the chef-client. Nodes use the chef-client to ask the Chef server for configuration details, such as recipes, templates, and file distributions. The chef-client then does as much of the configuration work as possible on the nodes themselves (and not on the Chef server). This scalable approach distributes the configuration effort throughout the datacentres and infrastructure.
The Secure DevOps Build Workstation as Service is a secure remote desktop, able to update, edit, and configure the Chef Server environment through the deployment of cookbooks, and Node/Role attributes. Using the Viewdeck Secure DevOps Build Workstation as Service, it provides a patched, secured cloud based development graphical workstation easily deployed across environments, providing IDE, scripting, deployment and manipulation of infrastructure build scripts in a secure environment.
Tag Cloud: Workstation Build, Remote Desktop, Configuration management, System administration, Network management, Cloud management, Continuous delivery, DevOps
Trademarks and Copyrights:
- The Chef Logo and Open Source Chef Server are Registered Trademarks of Chef Server Inc. No implied endorsement or relationship with Chef Server Inc is implied by this Service.
- Ubuntu and Canonical are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd.